Recipe (taken from the Club Cook Book 2005)
(submitted by Margaret Latham)
(This is nothing like Delia Smith’s recipe- we do not stuff anything with it – it contains no meat- but we always have it with our turkey at Christmas and also with other roast poultry at other times.)
Oven Temp 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4 Cooking Time 30 – 45 minutes
Savoury egg custard – 3 beaten eggs to 1 pint of milk
1 onion – diced and lightly fried till transparent but not brown
Sprig of parsley – chopped
About 6 slices thick-cut white bread – not too fresh – cut into large cubes
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
- Add the milk to the beaten eggs. Add all the other ingredients.
- If the mixture is too wet add more cubes of bread – all the moisture should have been absorbed.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased Pyrex pie dish.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for about ½ to ¾ hour till set and going brown.
- Try to time it so that it is ready at the same time as the roast meat and potatoes.
(Make plenty so that there will be some left to go with left-over cold turkey the next day.)
By Pat Thompson
Have you been upstairs yet to see the new look library? We are getting a lot of new books in, something for everyone’s taste. If you have been reading the Seven Sisters books, we now have the last one, kindly donated by Micheline L. Also books by Toshikazu Kawaguchi and Satochu Yagisawa, Japanese authors donated by Sarah Jacob. (Don’t worry, they have been translated).
Looking forward to seeing more people visiting the library at the very good price of one book for €2 or 3 books for €5.
Happy reading to you all.